Saturday 8 October 2011

Influential aspects of videos of the genre (performance narrative)

There are a lot of bands and also a lot of videos of theirs that are important to research when it comes to making my own video. I am researching various videos of certain bands so I can take influences and aspects to sue in my own video. Here, I will embed a few videos and comment on what themes and tehniques I would aim to replicate and add to my own production.


  1. Before I Forget - SlipKnoT

Slipknot is an American metal band from Des Moines, Iowa. The video for Before I Forget focuses greatly on the band's instruments, rather than the members themselves, with lots and lots of focus on guitars, drums, bass, microphone and samples/keyboards. This is because the band famously wear masks to obscure their appearances and in the video for Before I Forget, they have their masks off so that's the reason of the instrument close-ups. I am aiming to follow a similar technique and use plenty of focus on the performance section of the video. 


    2. Born To Lose - The Devil Wears Prada


The Devil Wears Prada are a Christian metalcore band from Dayton, Ohio. The aspect of performance I want to take from this video is the silhouetted way the band members are portrayed in the video, creating a similar style of narrative enigma to that of the aforementioned video. I think that the way none of the band members are shown properly adds to the creepiness and strange feel of the video. 


    3. Meddler - August Burns Red 


Similar to The Devil Wears Prada, August Burns Red also a Christian metalcore band from Manheim, Pennsylvania. The video for Meddler features the band playing outside under a lighting rig; the primary aspect of performance narrative I want to use in my video is the area that they're playing, which is some sort of corn field outside; the band in my video need to be playing outside as well in order to fit the video's idea better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, please ensure the what you write is appropriate. Trolls gon' troll.